The Types of Information We Collect
We collect certain personal information from you when you contact us or when you register for an account, make a purchase, place an order, or sign up to receive news and promotions at the Site. In general, we collect the following type of information about customers:
Account Registration Information. Users are required to create a Site account prior to using the Site. When you sign up for an account with us, we collect and store your first and last name, e-mail address, password, mailing address, phone number and other contact information.
We also may collect and store other optional information from you, such as information about your preferences or interests, demographic information, and organizations with which you are affiliated.
Purchase Information. If you make a purchase through the Site, we collect your payment information, such as your credit or debit card number, expiration date and other information necessary to process your payment. We use this information only to process your purchase. We do not store your credit card billing information unless you are a registered user and you choose to save this information to your account for future purchases. When you make purchases from us, we collect and store information about your purchase history, such as purchase date, order amount, items purchased, payment method and the like.
How We Use the Information We Collect
We will not sell or rent any of your personal information to third parties.
In general, we use the information we collect from you, including any personal information, for the following purposes:
• To process and fulfill your purchases;
• To communicate with you about your account;
• If you have opted in, to send you marketing information by e-mail, postal mail and text message about our services and promotions;
• To evaluate, improve and add to the services we provide;
• To provide troubleshooting, technical support and customer service to users;
• To help us address problems with and improve our Site design, products and services;
• To share with third-party vendors, service providers, contractors or agents that perform functions on your behalf who have agreed to maintain the confidentiality, security and integrity of your personal information and to only use it for the purposes for which they have been engaged by us;
• If we are acquired by or merged with another company, if substantially all of our assets are transferred to another company, or as part of a bankruptcy proceeding, to transfer the information we have collected from you to the acquiring company;
• To comply with the law, a judicial proceeding, court order, subpoena or other legal process.
In order to improve our services and partner with others, we also may share aggregated or de-identified information about users with third parties for marketing, advertising, research or other purposes. For example, if we display advertisements on behalf of a third party, we may share aggregate, demographic information with that third party about the users to whom we displayed the advertisements.
Accessing and Updating Your Account Information
If you are a registered user, you may access and update your account profile information by logging into your account.
Cookies and Other Tracking Technologies
Cookies. When you come to the Site, our web server sends a cookie to your computer. Cookies are alphanumeric identifiers that we transfer to your computer’s hard drive through your web browser for record-keeping purposes. There are two types of cookies: session-based and persistent-based cookies. In addition, we may permit certain third party cookies to be placed on our Site.
• Session Cookies. Session cookies exist only during an online session. They disappear from your computer when you close your browser or turn off your computer. We use session cookies to allow our systems to uniquely identify you during a session or while you are logged in to the Site. This allows us to process your online transactions and requests, store the items you have added to your shopping cart and verify your identity, after you have logged in as you move through our Site.
• Persistent Cookies. Persistent cookies remain on your computer after you have closed your browser or turned off your computer. We use persistent cookies to track information about user activity, which may be combined with other user information.
Disabling Cookies. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but if you prefer you can edit your browser options to block them in the future and you may be able to use other “Do Not Track” browser settings. The Help portion of the toolbar on most browsers will tell you how to prevent your computer from accepting new cookies, how to have the browser notify you when you receive a new cookie, how to disable cookies altogether or how to alter the browser’s setting to disable user tracking. Site visitors who disable their web browser’s ability to accept cookies or alter user tracking will be able to browse the Site; however, certain Site features may not function if you disable cookies.
Clear Gifs (Web Beacons/Web Bugs). We or the third parties we engage to track and analyze Site data may employ clear gifs (a.k.a. Web Beacons/Web Bugs) to help us better manage content on the Site. We currently utilize a third party service provider to collect, analyze, and generate reports on Site usage. The third party service provider may use clear gifs to gather analytics data about our Site. Clear gifs are tiny graphics with a unique identifier, similar in function to cookies, and are used to track the online movements of Web users. In contrast to cookies, which are stored on your computer’s hard drive, clear gifs are embedded invisibly on Web pages.
We want the information that you submit to us to be secure. We have implemented commercially reasonable precautions to protect our Site and services, as well as the information we collect from loss, misuse, and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, and destruction. For example, when you submit your credit card number or personal information to us online, that information is encrypted and protected with Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) software, which is the current industry standard and among the best software available today for secure commerce transactions, so that it cannot be read over the internet. We have also implemented robust access controls to safeguard against unauthorized access to our information systems. Please be aware that despite our best efforts, no data security measures can guarantee security all of the time. There are also certain steps you should take to safeguard your account and information. For example, you should select a secure password that only you know, and should always sign out of our account when finished. It is your responsibility to protect the confidentiality of your password in order to prevent unauthorized access to your account. You are responsible for all activities that occur under your account and password. You should immediately change your password and notify us if you discover or suspect any unauthorized use of your account.
Our Site is not intended for use by children under 13 years old. We do not knowingly collect personally identifiable information from, or target our Site to, children under the age of 13. In accordance with the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act of 1998, if we discover that a child under 13 has provided us with personally identifiable information, we will remove it from our systems immediately.